Note- Aphasia language support groups began on Sept 8, 2023. If you would like to join us in Storrs or Farmington, please contact us!
Student-run aphasia groups take place for ninety minutes per week on Fridays for the duration of every semester. Groups are capped at ten participants and are designed as a safe place to practice communication, to ask questions, and to receive and provide feedback to others aphasia. Discussions tend to include topical current world and local events. Language games are designed to increase word finding and toprovide additional practice. Participants vary in severity. We accommodate all ability levels. This past semester, several members contributed to the creation of our Aphasia Group Newsletter.
This group is also an educational one for our students so we will ask you to provide us with a medical history, if possible, and may ask you to take part in some language testing if you are interested.
We encourage you to try aphasia group. The only way to improve your language is to use it! To sign up or if you would like to try a session, please email email@example.com.
Jennifer Mozeiko, PhD, CCC-SLP
Associate Professor and
Aphasia Group Coordinator
*New members may begin at any time.
*ALL groups take place on Fridays throughout the semester.
Storrs Location– Human Development Building, 6 Alethia Drive, Storrs, CT
- 11:oo-12:30- Language Support Group– supported communication and cognition/language activities
- 1:00-2:30-Two Aphasia Book Clubs– for anyone who would like to try to read or listen to audio books
- 11:30-1:00- Group for Caregivers and Family Members- discussions have included communication partner strategies; having a sense of humor; finding time for yourself; how to modify travel plans. Selected excerpts here.
- Aphasia Group Choir– based on interest.
Farmington Location— UConn Health Center, Outpatient Pavilion 3, 135 Dowling Way, Farmington, CT 06030
- 1:00-2:30 PM- Mixed Language Support Group – supported communication and cognition/language activities.
- Supervised by Karen Collins, SLP , (860) 679-3233
- Outpatient Pavilion 3 East Large Conference Room
Online Only Group– In response to popular demand, we will continue to offer one book club online to those who cannot attend in person.
- 1-2:30 PM-Book Club- see details here. Note that while the book is often our vehicle for discussion, that we will also discuss current events, communication strategies, and other relevant topics.
- WebEX- is the platform we use. Here are instructions on how to use it.
- Click here to meet us online.
*No meetings during student breaks: Thanksgiving week and Spring Break week.
RESOURCES FOR PEOPLE WITH APHASIA AND FAMILY/FRIENDS